Thursday, June 08, 2006

What divides us...

I'm having one of those mornings where it's hard to think about too much so you'll forgive me if I'm brief. I had this long blog entry about spirituality planned but the election pretty much fucked that. Seriously, how Californians could vote against a measure that would provide their kids with pre-school when the downside was a teensy tax increase on the very rich is beyond me.

So, no big ideas today.

Just a small one.

I was thinking about the differences between myself and someone who beliefs different that I do. Where's the differentiation? A belief. Maybe two. Maybe three. But what's a belief? How much weight does that have. Am I a belief? No. I'm much more.

What's the difference between myself and someone who acts differently, say between me and Donald Rumsfeld. The difference is the action. And no matter their action, a person is more than that.

Actions and beliefs. That's all.

Now the point here isn't that certain beliefs aren't wrong, such as intolerance and hate. Nor is the point that certain actions aren't wrong, such as war atrocities, torture, and other newly American institutions.

The point here, if you'll forgive such a small one on a Thursday, is that all people are basically the same and deserve our decency and respect. We are all interconnected. Even Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth and men do not see it." (According to the Gospel of Thomas.)

Tolerance and basic decency walk a razor's edge. It's important not to slip.

No comments: