Thursday, May 11, 2006

While my guitar...

The salad days of my music career are, sadly, long behind me now. Considering the acclaim I so gloriously failed to achieve, it has made my acting career look positively glorious!

But still, there are times when someone says something particularly non-musical, historically crass, melodically insensitive that put my cackles in a bunch.

Like yesterday, for instance, someone said to me that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a stupid name for a song. Did this person know anything about the Beatles? Did this person understand the greatness that was George Harrison?

Will this person soundly kick my ass when they read this?

See, I have a personal fondness for George. "My Sweet Lord" has always warmed the cockles of this old, cynical heart. Back when I was with my first band, we did a mean version of "Here Comes the Sun" to the bass line of "25 or 6 to 4"... ah, sweet memories.

And, hey, this is the Beatles! They could have written a song called, "I want to suck your Grandmothers Seeping Ass", it would have been a hit. (Of course, I'm sure someone has probably already that - but you never heard of hit because it wasn't a Lennon/McCartney tune.)

So, anyway, this morning, I started sifting the web for some interesting minutia. I'd forgotten that Clapton played lead guitar on "While My Guitar..." Eric Fucking Clapton. I had always thought the song title made a tangential reference to the blues but the meaning behind it is much more cosmic. According to Harrison, "seemed to me to be based on the Eastern concept that everything is relative to everything else, as opposed to the Western view that things are merely coincidental."

Or, as I would have sung back in my more musical days, "I can't explain it. It's Chaos Theory."

Too abstruse? Maybe words don't do it justice. What's the old saying? Talking about music is like dancing about paintings?

But I figured it sounded better than, "It's not a stupid name for a song! It's not! It's not! It's not!"

No comments: