Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Things just ain't easy...

I've been pretty closed-mouth these days because I didn't want to jinx myself... fuck that.

Back when Vicky and I were in Hawaii, I received a call from a company looking for writers. I won't say who but I will say that it's a good company and a good job. I had several phone interviews and that was followed by several interviews in person. This went on for over a month! But the thing is that the more I learned, the more I knew I really wanted this job. It's the brass ring.

In addition to wanting this job, I also found a play I wanted to be in. The play is "Coyote on a Fence" at The Chance Theatre. I wanted to be in it because the part was perfect for me. I don't see those come along every day and I really wanted it!

That brings us to this week.

See, the HR guy at this company told me they'd make a decision by last Friday or yesterday regarding the position. Apparently, everyone I interviewed with liked me... but they had other candidates as well. So, I decided not to call him on Friday. I'd wait for him to call me.

But he didn't.

He didn't call me yesterday, either. So, I called him... got his voicemail... let a message. But still, no word.

Now, I was supposed to audition last night but I couldn't because this new job would create a conflict. I'd need to go to training for over a week either out of state or into state (beautiful, downtown Bakersfield!), which would mean I would miss several rehearsals. This isn't normally a problem... except that I didn't know when the training would be - would I be out of town during performances?? - or for how long. So, I sent the theater an email and asked to audition tonight.

And I called the company this morning. Nothing from the HR guy, who could be traveling for all I know, so I called the woman who would be my boss.

And found out they are still interviewing candidates... more candidates... Now, what does that say? When they bring in even more candidates? It means bad things, I'm sure... but she didn't say I was no longer being considered...

Which means I can't audition tonight, either. Tonight's the last night of auditions. But you don't want to get into a show and then tell them weeks later you can't do it. That's a big no-no.

So, there's another play gone by the wayside. And I'm still not sure of this job.

Two major events in my life - stillborn.

Anybody have any Ben & Jerry's???

No comments: