Thursday, July 27, 2006

Threat...ha!

Actually, threatened is more appropriate. As you all know, Ken is usually the one on the soap box. Well, more and more, I've been finding myself with a foot up there too.

Everyone rants and raves about freedom these days. How the Iraqis are better off now that they have "freedom", how Israel should be "free" to defend itself from Lebanon, how are country should be "free" from illegal aliens...hell I could keep going, but I think you get the picture.

Thanks to Frank, one of the Triplets, on one of my fave radio programs for discussing this on their program.

Well this week, Shrub signed into law the Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005. Okay, great, we can all display our country's flag, like that is a freedom that is largely denied...Ha!

Earlier this month, the Wisconsin legislature sent a letter signed by 52 assembly representatives and 9 state senators demanding the University of Wisconsin-Madison to fire Kevin Barrett. Professor Barrett has argued that our government is behind the terrorist attacks on our country. His intent to allow for open debate on this issue was met with a demand for his immediate dismissal or, as stated by Rep. Steve Nass "the leadership of the U.W. System operates at its own peril if it continues to ignore views of the taxpayers." Now where is our freedom?

The repugs are happy to give you your freedom, so long as it fits within their limitations. Step outside of that box, speak about an alternate theory, then WHAM! there goes your freedom.

We should all be feeling threatened...

1 comment:

Ken La Salle said...

Okay, I know this doesn't count because I'm married to her but I just gotta say: Vicky is so cool. She found all this stuff and sprung it on me and I said, "Write away!!"

I got the coolest wife.