Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Sunrise/Sunset...

I have to tell you about the sunrise I saw this morning.

For some reason, though or because it's been particularly hot, clouds had sunk down low right on top of Santiago Canyon, the road I take to work every morning. The road dips and weaves its way through some of Orange County's last remaining open space, making the commute seem more like a pleasant drive... until you realize where you're going.

This morning, as I entered the hills that Santiago Canyon took me through, the clouds enveloped me and I could barely see the car ahead. Then, taking a turn around a hill, it happened - the ineffable. Suddenly, the powerful, summer sun blasted through the clouds, creating a thick, murky haze all around. Immediately beside you, trees, grass, and rocks were covered with a sheen and everything looked like a memory. The thick haze seemed to block the world of reality. Time slowed.

And, for just a moment, I wanted to pull over and stop and stay in that realm of peace for just a moment, or a thousand years.

But then, I realized I had to return home. Vicky's there... and I also have City of Heroes.

What?, you ask. City of Heroes? What about World of Warcraft???

Yeah... that...

Yes, this weekend, I took the plunge and decided to try another game. After all, my WoW account was running out. The time seemed to be right. I've played other MMORPGs (Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Games, for the great unwashed) before but nothing has held up like WoW. So, I chose CoH since that has had some nice things said about it, as well.

Playing CoH, you immediately realize what an incredible machine WoW is. WoW got so much right, it's just amazing. Don't get the wrong idea! CoH is a lot of fun. I have three characters set up: a purple behemoth named Vicqui (after my own Vicky but also recalling Phil Hartman), Captain Incongruous, and Commander Cathode. I can't fly, yet, but it's a lot of fun... the only thing is...

Well, there are little things they just didn't get quite right. Like the map and the way missions are given out and how some things just aren't intuitive enough. See, WoW is so god-damned polished, you just don't run into that. So, I've really gained an appreciation. And I'll play WoW again, to be sure.

Amazing how reality pulls you back into the world - and the things it uses as hooks...

No comments: