Thursday, March 30, 2006

Good book/Bad Book...

Most of the time, I talk about my writing as if it exists within a vacuum. It's not too hard - nobody wants to publish me!

But there are times...

Jennifer recently finished reading No More Blue Roses. She wrote to me:

You know I gotta tell you. I was talking about you yesterday to a friend of mine and the book I just read. And for the first time in my adult life, the person I was talking to about this actually was engaged and asking some serious questions about why I felt certain ways about your book. And then he said something that I thought I'd pass on. He said, "It must have been a good book if you're still thinking about it."

That got me thinking, I am still thinking about it. I find myself drawing parallels with certain parts of the book. Most the journey part and how sometimes with your best intentions things get in your way to stop your drive. And maybe, just maybe, we should stop and observe those proverbial breaks.

Anyhow, I was telling him that what impressed me the most about the book was your way you write. Despite the fact of whether I "got it" or not in the beginning, your writing is what kept me intrigued. I could feel the characters and see them. And for me that's a big deal with books.

Pretty cool, huh?

Well, as usual in this crazy, mixed-up universe, it was quickly followed with something to keep my colossal ego in check. Vicky read the first chapter of the new book.

And she hated it!

Now, she's probably going to leave a comment about how she didn't hate it as much as she just disliked it a whole lot, but there's nothing wrong with hating it. That's her opinion.

Now, I could have accepted that and moved on but, instead, I sent it out to some other people and asked for their opinions. I'll be sure to post those, as well.

Even Babe Ruth couldn't bat .500.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

And here is her comment...I didn't hate it, it just didn't grab me and draw me in. If there was more to the book I would have continued reading it and not just because my husband wrote it. I enjoy and love his writing.

Jenn from WA said...

OMG...I'm famous. I made Ken's blog. And I meant every word...