Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Working with class…

This blog has kind of turned into an ongoing biography of my little family, the story of Vicky and me. With that in mind, I am thinking this morning of something that is dominating my existence: I’m tired.

Seriously. I’m tired. I am working full time, going to school part time, trying to sell several books, writing another book, working out so I can act again in the summer, and trying to find the precious time necessary to play World of Warcraft. And when I write all of that down, my claim extends to this: I’m really tired.

But, of course, that isn’t going to stop me, which brings me to my thought for today (I try to keep myself to one), which is how much that says about Vicky and me. You see, we both share the same kind of sensibility in that regard. Vicky’s not working on books and getting ready to act in the summer. She takes all of that energy and directs it into her job. She takes great care of things at home. And, believe me, she’s tired too.

This isn’t to say that we have a strong work ethic, which I believe we do (he said, writing at work). But that’s not the whole story because even people with a strong work ethic rest now and then. Vicky and I both seem to be driven on. We believe we should do something more.

I wonder what any children we have will turn out like. Will they inherit our drive or will they look at us and say, “You people are just crazy.” In a way, I’m hoping it’s the latter. After all, as someone once asked me, when does it end? How many books am I going to write? When does the drive end?

Hell, someone else said, “I’ll sleep when I’m dead.”

It encourages me to know that Vicky and I are both working towards our goals, that we have the energy and motivation to keep going, and that it’ll probably last the rest of our lives. It also encourages me to know that we have each other to help us rest occasionally, too, because after all you need time to play World of Warcraft.

No comments: