Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Elliptical resistance…

So, I’m on the Elliptical at the gym last night. For those who don’t know, the Elliptical is like a stair master, but the steps truck along in an ellipse. The theory, I guess, is that it reduces impact. Whatever!

So, I’m really moving, you know? Just zipping along… um, in place. I’m not holding on to the side railing because I heard that helps work your “core” better. I am an elliptical GOD!

Which is when it was time for me to be taken down a few pegs… dammit…

A trainer brings some new member over and tells her to set the resistance up to three.

Three.

And I think, “What the hell is resistance?”

It’s the setting I have at zero.

Zero.


Mother fuck.

But hey, I’m a man. I’m tough. I can do this.

I set my resistance to one… two… and three… And, for the next thirty minutes, I put my body through the harshest pain since I saw Cloverfield. Worse, actually. It was more like the last time I saw an Adam Sandler film.

I can’t help but wonder: Am I out of shape, fat, or just old?

And do I really want an answer to that question?

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

OMG I found that resistence thing last week. I tried it and quickly decided I'd rather do more time than less time, but tougher resistance.

and I'll resist from answering your last question for fear it may come back to haunt me.