Monday, November 26, 2007

Games people play… Or wish they could play if only Blizzard would get off its shiny, white ASS… but I’m not bitter…

I finished Two Worlds this past weekend. Two World is a great game – so long as you only play it for about ten hours. For me, at least, the ten hour point was when repetition became tedium. All games use repetition, most countering repetition with reward, but Two Worlds used so much that if it was salt I’d be dead right now. In the wee hours of Sunday morning, I actually stopped playing it and just went right for the ending. Gamers know there’s a difference between “playing” and “finishing” a game. The ending was, of course, horrible. Two Worlds is junk food, not particularly good, but I enjoyed it as much as I could.

I played it because Blizzard patched a big old “Fuck You” for users of Wireless-N products into World of Warcraft, making it impossible to play. Now, listen, I’m a diehard WoW player but… the thing is Wireless-N works. It kicks ass. So, when Blizzard made it so WoW won’t work with Wireless-N, they made life impossible for me. Worse, their answer to Wireless-N users is “Switch back to Wireless-G”… but G sucked! The choice, then, is to use Wireless-N for everything (except WoW) and enjoy how well it works or to use Wireless-G, have it crash all the time, play some WoW between crashes, live a life saturated in SUCK, and just fucking DEAL! (My PC is in my garage, which is why I need N so badly and why G sucks so hard.)

The sad truth is that I’m just going to have to live without WoW… for a while…

The other sad truth is that playing WoW has changed the way I look at video games. Single player games are boring to me now. I’m used to all the social interaction WoW brings. I keep wanted to get on WoW and tell Sleazer (one of my in-game friends) that I didn’t quit the game, that Blizzard is draining my life into a pool of SUCK!

… but I can’t.

Back to the WII for me…

No comments: