Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Here once a writer stood…

Seriously. I’m not kidding. I used to work as a writer. No shit. I got paid and everything. Now?...

I couldn’t tell you.

My employer knew very well my experience and strength in writing… they just decided to ignore it.

Now, I have writers who work for me. And graphic artists. And web monkeys. And… other people; I’m not entirely sure what they do.

Meanwhile, I’m doing shit that gives me a headache. Today, alone, I’ve had to shut some people down, hurry some people up, and prepare for a celebrity endorsement. The fuck?

For those who don’t know, I work as an interim Assistant Marketing Manager for a school. (That’s vague enough, right?) That “interim” really pisses me off; they keep telling me that it’s temporary. The “interim” is interim. And I still have a job to do.

One of our courses is being altered significantly next year thanks to a government mandate. I’ve been assembling proposal after proposal and pushing hard for our school to be the premium brand in this arena but those above me just want to keep things cheap. Fine, then why’d you ask? Anyway, so much for a premium brand. In another course, one of our licenses will expire soon. So, it’s been up to me to push the urgency in our marketing campaigns. How many different ways can you say, “Hurry up! We goofed!” Finally, I’m about to enter into the world of celebrity… endorsements, that is. Yes, I’m heading up someone else’s pet project of getting some celebrity to endorse our school. Peachy. This “celebrity” is so G-list that he really isn’t a celebrity any more. I suggest, if you’re going to go for celebrity then really go for it, and suddenly I realize my foot’s in my mouth.

Vicky says I have some kind of hidden talent in marketing, like I’m some kind of marketing savant. I am the Rainman of Marketing.

I think some people have been smoking the good stuff.

Seriously, I used to work as a writer. No shit. I got paid and everything.

No comments: