Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Careful what I wish for…

After three months out of work, you can imagine how much I wanted this job. Pretty badly, I can tell you.

Then, I started. I have a two-faced boss who seems more interested in keeping me busy and keeping me there than giving me work less brain-dead or letting me leave on time to go to school in the Fall. (Yes, we discussed it in the interview – two-faced, remember?) I work in a fishbowl cubicle with no privacy and no time to relax. (This place is all about “Your job is your life.”) No bonuses, no perks, crummy benefits. (I’ve been told “This is a Chinese company, get used to it.”) And, lastly, though the job was described to me as one in which I would be performing competitive analysis and creative marketing material and creating strategies to move the products forward – it turns out that my job consists of proofing data sheets created in Taiwan and performing website maintenance, a job they could have hired anyone else to do.

Dammit.

So, what am I going to do? Well, to be honest, not a whole lot. I’m going to have to grin and bear it and keep applying for other jobs and hope for the best. If they don’t let me go to school in the fall – I’ve been threatened with disciplinary actions should I leave work at 6pm to go to school – Vicky and I have discussed this and I’ll quit. I’ll reopen my unemployment account and start looking for work again. In the meantime, I’ll do the best I can and see where that gets me.

And I’ll be none too happy about it, believe me. Though this ain’t no IMC Networks… sadly, it’s no Linksys, either.

No comments: