Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Driving like it's 1999

Since I got my new Hybrid Escape I've become more aware of my driving habits. My car has a readout of my ongoing average MPG, so I'm very aware when I'm driving like I have extra fuel to burn. Since I got the car at the end of 2007, my MPG has ranged from 30 to 32, which is good for my small SUV. I'll admit, I had about a month when I wasn't paying attention to this stuff and my MPG suffered, but I'm getting it back up there again. But here's the thing, I don't race away from or to stop lights, I accelerate slowly, I coast to red lights, I drive slower on the freeway...and it's working, I'm saving on the cost of gas. So what the hell is wrong with every other driver I share the road with...They drive like they have all the money in the world to burn. The price of gas is going to hit at least $5 per gallon this summer, probably even more, and yet people are still driving like it's 1999.

1 comment:

Ken La Salle said...

Guilty...