Friday, August 24, 2007

Wanting to have it…

I went on a shopping spree yesterday. I went to three malls and over a dozen stores.

I spent a whopping: $0.00

Here’s the thing, I’m looking for something particular. Some things, actually. I would like to buy some new ties, which is always a chore because I am very particular about my ties. I also want to buy some mid-range hiking boots, but I’m trying to stay away from thing made in China… and they all are, it seems. But that won’t stop me from continuing the search.

At one point, I was in Macy’s and found this really great t-shirt. That might be contradictory, “really great t-shirt”, but let’s just assume for a minute that it’s true.

I really don’t need any t-shirts. I just wanted to have the t-shirt.

This intrigued me – just wanting to have something.

I think that’s a problem a lot of us have. We don’t buy what we need – we even stray from things we want – and often buy things we just want to have. I can’t begin to tell you how horrid this is to me, this extreme form of greed, probably indicative of western life.

So, I’m going to try and be a little more aware of when I need things or want things or just want to have things and try to stay away from buying things just because I want to have them.

… we’ll see how that goes.

No comments: