Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Faster…

So, as I might have mentioned, I’m reading the I Chong, a surprisingly good book – which is not to say that I’m surprised it is readable, given the author, but rather that my expectations were such that I didn’t see a book this good coming. As I near the end, I happened upon a passage where he discusses fasting, which he did while he was in prison.

So, when I tell you I’m considering fasting every Monday, you know I completely stole it from him.

Still, there’s something about the idea I like. Vicky and I usually spend our weekends going out or making some grand dinner and snacking – oh, the snacking! So, maybe taking every Monday to fast might be a good thing to put my body back in order. In addition, I’ve been thinking it might be helpful as a grounding tool. I used to be a vegetarian (more or less) and found that helped ground me, a little. Now, I tend to have meat only at dinner time, which I’m liking because it makes you wait for fulfillment. Waiting for fulfillment is especially important in a day when we are taught we should be totally fulfilled NOW. Like I said, grounding.

So, I thought I’d put a post up and see if anyone has any information about fasting, any stories, insights, limericks – you know, whatever.

Don’t worry. If I do decide to fast next week, I’ll write all about it. And I promise to do it very slowly, so as not to hurt myself.

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

Are you sure fasting is on the road to enlightenment? I mean really. We aren't at the top of the food chain for nothing. AND...how do you know its good for you? Do you have a doctor's note? What if fasting makes you stay awake more than normal? What if it lowers your sex drive? Have you done all your research here?