Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The danger of being so damned incredible…

Now that I’ve got your attention, I should probably mention that the subject line is completely facetious. You’ll soon learn why.

I’ve been writing at an incredible pace lately. The book on success, the one I put aside for about six months, is nearly halfway completed! I’m amazed at how well – and how fast – things are rolling along. But progress comes with a price and here it is – for the first time in my life: I’m writing too fast!

No kidding. I hadn’t completed my research into Aristotle’s Ethics when I found myself already writing the section on it! I had to scramble to get all my notes together! I had no idea how they’d be integrated into the story and, in fact, it didn’t matter. All my notes are getting gobbled up by this writing machine I’ve become.

I’m only 50 pages into Maslow’s book and I’m nearing the section on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.

… so, why’s this a problem, anyway?

Well, let me begin by stating that I’m sure this book won’t sell. If you had to get less marketable, I don’t know how it’s done. So, writing this book, of all books, quickly is unnecessary. Unnecessary? Did I also mention that we still have two books to promote – try to sell? This thing won’t see the light of day until 2008, even if I finish it this week. (Which, of course, I won’t. I’m just saying.)

The other side to this is that writing takes something out of you. It’s exhausting even when, and perhaps especially when, it’s done on such a subconscious level. Sit down and write 3000 words and tell me how lively you feel after. Now, try making it the middle 3000 words of a book on success… you see? I’m turning into a zombie and I can see the question writ large on Vicky’s face: “You just got a job. Why can’t you take it easy?” (The answer of which is actually in this book!)

So, the halfway mark is approaching. One of the big events in this book - and I think a sign of how action-packed it is – is Megan’s death and the aftermath, ending the book at her memorial service. Those few days are probably going to take up the last 20-25% of the book, with the preceding three weeks before it, which is my way of saying the book is going to be horribly lopsided. But I can think of nothing more meaningful in the search for success than a meaningless (which is to say “unnecessary”) death. In a way, I’ll be happy to race to the finish, just to be done with her death and move on.

But before I do that, I need to finish this book by Maslow…. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….

No comments: