Friday, April 14, 2006

Was Blind But Now Can See...

Three stories to tell this morning.

Vicky and I went to see Quidam last night. It was my first time at a Cirque du Soleil show and I thought it would basically be what I see on PBS... a freak show.

But this one had a little less freak in it.

Websters defines Quidam as Somebody unknown, and who isn't unknown? It's a pretty general term. But Vicky and I both said we'd Google it and see and here's what la Cirque had to say:

Quidam: a nameless passer-by, a solitary figure lingering on a street corner, a person rushing past. It could be anyone, anybody. Someone coming, going, living in our anonymous society. A member of the crowd, one of the silent majority. The one who cries out, sings and dreams within us all. This is the "quidam" that Cirque du Soleil is celebrating.

A young girl fumes; she has already seen everything there is to see, and her world has lost all meaning. Her anger shatters her little world, and she finds herself in the universe of Quidam. She is joined by a joyful companion as well as another character, more mysterious, who will attempt to seduce her with the marvelous, the unsettling, and the terrifying.


As I said, there was a little less rat, er, freak in the show. The clowns were hilarious. The high wire acts were amazing. The contortionists were... bendy...

I'm glad I saw it. It's definitely an experience best seen live.

Shrub's folks keep telling us what a threat Iran is. Meanwhile, they've only enriched uranium 3%. It takes at least 80% to make a nuke. At best, they can make a glow-in-the-dark watch. They're no more a threat than Iraq was... which is to say Shrub's people are evil fucks who are completely full of shit.

If you'd like to name one world power who poses a threat to the world, you'd need to look a lot closer than Iran.

Closer to home, I finished the first 10% of the new book yesterday. If I had to describe it in a word, I'd say it's "heartfelt".

Some of you may be wondering what the big deal is. The rest, who have probably passed out, have probably come to realize, as I have, that Kenneth La Salle writing something "heartfelt" is probably a clear sign that the end times are at hand.

Sure... blame me!

No comments: