Monday, January 12, 2009

Expectations versus Pressure...

This is what I get for reading an old email.

I was cleaning out my inbox and found and email where I talked about my first days at Allied. The folks at Allied had great expectations for me. They put me charge of all sorts of things and had the faith that I'd do them; and I mostly did! I was mentioning in this email the difference between expectations and pressure. There was never any real pressure put on me at Allied. They never gave me deadlines because they were confident I'd get the job done. The never looked over my shoulder or hounded me.

Of course, I'm no longer at Allied. Where I work now, there are no expectations because there's no plan. Nobody is providing any vision of what we should be doing so, consequently, we just have to keep scurrying to look productive. And this creates a lot of pressure. We have to do a lot even when there's not a lot to do.

It's sad, really.

So, I can't help but think that I want to find a job where there are expectations, because I think people that believe in you are less likely to feel they have to force you.

Maybe that's just me. I hope not.

No comments: