Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What happens now?…

It’s taken a couple of days for me to get used to this idea.

I’m out of work again. Unemployed. I did nothing wrong. In fact, I was excelling at my job. Everything was going right.

I’ll leave out the whys and wherefores of the whole thing for now – long story short, a dumbass mistake led to massive cutbacks and layoffs – right now, my biggest concern is where do I go from here?

And there’s not a whole lot of places to go. Fortunately, unemployment insurance shouldn’t be an issue since I was laid off and Vicky’s run the numbers and it looks like we should be fine for now. But what do I do?

I’ve been getting this sinking suspicion that, after two jobs in two years, I might not be cut out for the 9-5. Not to mention, after two jobs in two years, I’m not looking all that desirable as an employee. It’s time to think of alternatives.

So, here’s Plan A. It’s time to start investing more time in selling my books, as much time as I spend looking for work. Putting together submissions takes a bit of time and, after two days at it, I can tell you this won’t be easy. But I better do something, this much is sure.

As I was laid off on Friday, I was told that I could be hired back if the economy turns around.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny, too.

No comments: