Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I am just so wrong…

It’s 2pm and I have an hour left of work… what to do?

I was just reading an interview with Penn (of Him and Teller) and he mentioned how most people are wrong most of the time (actually, he was a bit more forthcoming than that) and that sent little fireworks off in my head.

Here’s the thing: I just wrote a blog about what a fucking genius I am. I came out of the genius closet, so to speak. It was an uncomfortable, if exhilarating, experience…

… So, I figured, what better why to follow that up than to mention the opposite end of that spectrum.

What’s that, you ask? Well, you shouldn’t! Just look at the subject line!

The thing is, smart as I may be, I am still wrong about a great many thing. I have my weaknesses. I have my flaws. I’d go so far as to say I probably have a lot more than most of you folks. But that’s okay. That’s how it works, right? I can’t expect to be smart about a damn thing if I’m not stupid about at least ten… or twenty!

What would they be?

Well, let’s start with dancing. God, I suck!

I’m not great at making friends.

I’m fat, so keeping myself fit isn’t my strongest feature.

I never really mastered the art of small talk so don’t ask me for advice on how not to be socially awkward.

I’m not nearly as judgmental of others as I used to be and, yet, I’m still far too judgmental.

It’s a good thing I know English because language are not… good at things I am… one of them…

Don’t talk to me about sports. Seriously. Save yourself the trouble.

I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide – beyond that math is your problem.

My relationship with three-dimensional space is… somewhat lacking. (i.e. I run into things… pretty damned often… I’ll be thinking of that as I drive home today…)

Drawing, sketching, painting… NOT!

As Vicky will vouch, fashion and style are not working for me. I know three colors: Blue, black, and whatisthatcalled.

Anyway, I could go on and on but I think I’ll spare you. This little exercise, I think, is good for all of us to remember. We all have our gifts and of those we should be proud but none of us should ever forget that we are flawed; that’s what it means to be human.

It’s okay to be wrong but not so much to think that you couldn’t be.

No comments: