Friday, March 25, 2011

The Final Countdown…

Yes, I have that stupid song in my head now… dammit.

Actually, this entry is about something very different. It looks like I am now within weeks of losing my unemployment benefits – they are bone dry – and Vicky and I have started counting down the remaining days.

I find myself in an odd position. Vicky has such a relaxed attitude about things, so positive things will work out, she makes it hard for me to freak out. At the same time, I am Ken. Freaking out is second nature. Let’s say I’m conflicted. Will I find a job in my chosen career? Will I have to work retail or fast food for anything I can get? I don’t know.

The strangest thing about all of this is the timing. We are just months away from the release of Wormfood Island (from Northern Frights Publishing). Other developments are on the way, too. I should start seeing an at least semi-regular income from my writing this year. Maybe that’s why Vicky is so relaxed, because she knows that things are happening even if I have to take a shitty job.

I know I’ve said this before but I wouldn’t trade in this time I’ve had for anything. As much as I hate not having a job – it would be nice to have money – my writing career has taken huge leaps in the last two years. I mean, it looks like it is actually starting, you know? My writing is getting better and I have learned a whole lot more about the business. Would this have happened if I was employed? Perhaps. But I can tell you with all certainty that there is no better inspiration than fear, at least for me. I’ve become incredibly prolific of late and have my eyes firmly affixed to the future.

I don’t know how this will all turn out but I do know that the next phase begins in just a few weeks. Keep your eyes on this space. Things will change.

No comments: