Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The day I gave up and finally accepted my fate…

Yesterday came the culmination of over half a decade of work. More than that, it was just another step in the payoff of over 30 years of work.

Yesterday, I signed a contract with Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency for them to represent my philosophical memoir, Climbing Maya.

And the entire kingdom rejoiced!!!

… then, after a while, Vicky and I got down to some of the business of our new situation. With new books appearing in Kindle, iBooks, Nook, etc. every week and Wormfood Island coming from Northern Frights Publishing this summer, with two theaters seriously considering producing my work this summer and now a literary agency – a good one – representing Climbing Maya… Vicky and I had to admit to ourselves that it looks like I’m going to be a professional writer.

Yes, you heard that right.

The day has come that I’ve been dreaming about most of my life!

… and we had to figure out how that was going to impact my job search. Basically, reality stinks, folks. We still need to pay the bills.

But this writing stuff takes a lot of time. We realized I wasn’t going to be able to manage it if I worked a full-time job. It was at that time that we revised our job search plan down to part-time… maybe.

After all, if my digital books sell even moderately well, the income might be enough so I can devote my time to my writing. If not, well, it’s something part-time for me.

The whole thing seems unreal, to tell you the truth. To think, someone said the words, “Your writing career means you won’t be able to work full-time.” It sounds like a joke, to tell you the truth.

Let’s hope it’s not. Okay?

No comments: