Friday, December 12, 2008

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the cheap booze...

I used to be a scotch man. Scotchity scotch scotch. I loved me the scotch. I'd drink it on just about any occasion to show how manly, tough, and totally unwhimpy I was... for all the good that did me.

Then, I discovered wine. I started with Cabs but swiftly moved to Pinot Noirs. I still love me a good Central Coast, preferably Paso Robles, Pinot and you can't beat a Burgundian. It displays sophistication that allows for sensitivity... and makes me drunk...

That's all well and good. But, lately, things have been changing in the region of my alcohol palate. I thought I'd run this by you - my new list of things I'm liking to drink:

1) White wine - hold the Chard! I love me a nice white, from a Sauvignon Blanc to a Riesling, but keep those Chardonnays far away. My tummy no likey. A nice white wine is refreshing, yes, but it's also something you can drink pretty damned fast and get a nice buzz on... okay, maybe that's not all of it. Sadly, I think my wine pallet is just taking a vacation and heading to the white wine region, like it or not.

2) Baileys... and that's it. Yep. I'm loving me some Bailey's Irish Cream. On the rocks? Sure. Out of the bottle? No problemo! Vicky and I bought a bottle and I'd finished it before she had a chance to ask, "How do you like the...?"

3) Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. You can't get much closer to Satan's Sweet Sweet Booze than Parrot Bay. Why? Because it's candy booze! I swear! You can drink it with soda, with kool-aide, with a fucking straw if you want. No kidding. If you just want a quick, evening, "I hate my fucking job" buzz, you can't get one any easier.

So, what does this say about me? Have I gone from being a pretentious drinker to just a living room drunk? Or was I always just a living room drunk... who once had taste, at least.

I don't know.

But I'm sure as hell going to think about it... over a bottle of Baileys...

No comments: