Monday, December 15, 2008

Getting off the bike...

I was afraid this might happen.

Looks like I'm hanging up my bike for the winter. I hate to do it. I was just getting to a point where half a century was like nothing and a century was getting closer to a reality. But the other reality is that it's getting harder and harder to find ideal riding conditions.

Chalk it up to weather. I mean, it's cold and wet - no fun for riding. I'm waiting until nearly noon to get out there and, by that time, it's just too late for me. I know, people in Seattle still ride! People in Chicago still ride! And they have actual weather! Sure, but look at them! Out there in the freezing rain, freezing. They're fucking crazy! Hey, I'm not going to do anything that turns me into a popsicle, you know?

So, that's it for a few months, until February at least. Until then, I'll be hitting the gym. It's either that or start smoking again!

I can't wait for the return of spring and sunshine. I didn't start riding seriously until about June this year. In 2009, I'll start in February or March, and get an additional 3-4 months of riding in.

Until then, try not to call me a wimp.

No comments: