Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Wait until the ride has come to a complete stop…

Right about now, that’s what my life is feeling like. I haven’t written anything on the blog in a while because… well… there’s just nothing to write! But I figured I should write something, so…

How have I been spending my time? Keith figured I was playing lots of WoW. I wish he was right. (Though, in truth, I’ve played a little…) From the start, I have made it my goal to apply to 10 jobs and send out 10 book submissions each week. That alone keeps me pretty busy. In addition, we’re in mid-term season and I’m working on a take-home test, writing about Plato’s Republic. Jealous, yet?

Once I get mid-terms out of the way, it’s back to the writing. I’m planning on getting Grand Canyon on Kindle and then starting work on submissions for Wormfood. Both will take some work. Only then will I be able to get back to the new play, which I haven’t touched in a couple of weeks.

I guess you can say I’ve been keeping busy.

I had a painful job interview the other day. It was for a tech writer, something I used to do. Well, I was in for a double dose of reality/pain/whatever at this one. Seems I’m not really a writer any more because I was a manager and I betrayed some sacred trust by not sticking to technical writing. I don’t know the right software anymore. I’m too out of practice to be any good. And I haven’t even been following trends in the career… ugh. For an hour, my mind was split between “How do I get these people to like me?” and “Dude, there’s more to life than tech writing. Seriously!”

The thing is, I am not one to think of my career as my life. Never have been. And when it comes to something as boring as tech writing, well, I try to forget I ever did it! Being a marketing manager was far more cool… and far less remotely possible I’ll find a job doing it again. The problem is there are a lot of low level jobs out there but the higher level ones are few and far between.

It sucks.

So, things ain’t great at Casa La Salle. And just because we’ve weathered this storm once before doesn’t make it a picnic this time.

No comments: