Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Clouds in the desert…

Things in my life have been changing so fast and unexpectedly these days…

No, not my marriage. That’s cool.

No, not my employment. That still sucks.

And, oddly enough, though I have been to three job interviews this week, I’m almost afraid – in some psychotic, Freddy Kreugeresque kind of way – of getting a job.

Perhaps I should explain…

You see, in the middle of this vast wasteland of unemployment (or, as I just typoed “wast vastland”)(“Nuklear Wessels, Keptin!”) some of the most intriguing and, dare I say, once in a lifetime opportunities have been exploding around me.

Like the ebook thing. Someone has offered to publish one of my books as an ebook, and hasn’t balked at my insistence upon an audio book version. The only thing is it’ll take a lot of work and a lot of time and I don’t know if I’ll be able to do it if I get a traditional, full-time job.

There’s also been the website thing. I’ve come up with an idea for what I think could be a money-making website. Jenn and Vic are actually helping me develop the idea. (No, I won’t tell you. Wait until Christmas.) The only thing is it’ll take a lot of work and a lot of time and I don’t know if I’ll be able to do it if… you’ve heard this before, haven’t you?

It’s crazy how right now, when I’m starving for a job, this buffet of new opportunities is being rolled in front of me. And, let’s face it, if I had a job, I could pay my bills. Vicky and I could have our baby. Life would be good. On the flip side, both of these opportunities are filled with such potential that a regular job might not even be necessary and…

So, it’s down to safety versus … the alternative.

It sucks.

Meanwhile, I’ll just keep interviewing and wait to really deal with this problem when I get an offer.

No comments: