Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Short-haired Ken...

I'm not going to say my hair has gotten long, but is has grown far too long for my helmet. I must look like Animal (the Muppet) with my helmet on and all this hair sticking out at every angle!

Well, it's Animal no more after tonight because I'm going for my Wedding Anniversary cut tonight. I'm going to Terrilynn (who's name I am probably mispelling), the same woman who cut my hair on the day of my wedding.

I remember it very clearly. It was the first time she and I had met but Vicky had assured me she'd do a good job, and this was important because, after all, it was my wedding day. She washed my hair, I sat down in front of her mirror, and she asked, "So, what do you want done?" I told her how Vicky liked my hair short - so I wanted it really short. Really, really short. But I wanted it to look cool and I needed to look awesome because I'd be getting married in a few hours. I told her I'd trust her completely... and she want to work.

Meanwhile, Clostio was outside, smoking and sweating over the toast he'd have to give in a few hours at the reception, and Sean was basically writing it for him, which is ironic because Clostio was the writer.

For those who haven't seen what my hair looked like on that day, you can check our photo site. It was short but I told her, "Go shorter." "Are you sure?" she asked. "Yeah. Go ahead." So, she went shorter. As she cut, I told her about how nervous I was about the wedding, about what a mess I'd made out of my first marriage and how important it was for me to make Vicky happy.

Meanwhile, Vicky and her friends were partying it up, having a grand, old time. She wasn't nervous at all.

But I knew better.

My favorite part of the hair cut were the little accents she put in by twisting my hair. That's probably not going to happen so much tonight because I know I'll be back on my bike tomorrow morning, fucking up any genius Terrilynn puts in my hair, making a mess of her hard work.

Little traditions like this are important to me. They make things like my marriage more sacred, in a way. It's my way of saying, "I am still the man who loves you so much he wants to spend the rest of his life with you."

... besides, I don't think Vicky likes the idea of being married to Animal.

No comments: