Thursday, September 04, 2008

Damn you, Mister Sun...

For those of you keeping track, I've been cycling for a few weeks now. In fact, I passed the 500 mile mark on my odometer - so I've put in a little pedalling time. My usual schedule included cycling 25 or so miles every morning. I get up at 5am, head on out, and return in time to get ready for work.

... at least, I used to...

Thanks to the stupid tilt of the earth, and a sun that is less than reliable, the sun has been rising later and later every morning. Yesterday, it didn't rise until I was nearly back home. Most of my ride was spent in the darkness, despite my headlight, trying my hardest not to veer from the trail. Riding in the morning has been nice and refreshing but riding in the dark just plain sucks.

So, what do I do?

This morning, I started out 15 minutes later, hoping to catch the sunlight as I rode, but wouldn't you know it? The stupid sun rose even later! And, as I observe the Old Farmer's Almanac (the Internet is a fine thing, kids!), I notice it'll just keep getting later and later until the Autumnal time change, when it'll start all over again. Hell, by January, the sun won't be up until nearly 7am!

I guess this means summer is coming to a close, and just as I discover cycling!

Oh well. I guess I'll have to start leaving later, riding faster - or finding better excuses to flake...

No comments: