Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Waiter, there’s air in my wine…

And that’s a good thing!

Vicky and I reached Cambria without a bottle of wine to our name. Sad. Truly sad. We hit the wine shops downtown the very next day, though, and found some wonderful bottles to enjoy before we really started hitting the vineyards. As one sommelier poured for us, I saw him pull out an oddly shaped device, place it over the glass, and pour wine through it. It made a great, sucking/spitting sound that interested the nine year-old in me.

Turned out, it was an aerator, a Vinturi to be exact.

This thing is so cool. It pumps air into the wine, softening it up like over an hour in a decanter will do – and it does it without batteries! No power needed! It works on air pressure! I love it.

So, here’s my gift to you. If you don’t have time for a proper decanting, which describes Vicky and I 90% of the time, give yourself one of these babies… and invite me over.

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

Wow Nifty. My friends PhotoGirl and The Yank have this little trinket they bought in the Napa Valley that you put in wine and it ages it instantly. I have no idea what it's called, but if you're interested I can find out. They think its awesome, and they are quite the wino type too.