Thursday, July 17, 2008

New show – first look…

Sherryl, my friend with whom I’ve done several plays, agreed to take a look at Scene One of the new show for me.

I’ve been rather nervous because it’s been years since my last play. My first three – a kind of trilogy – were unapologetically about myself. I think everyone knew that. But this time, I wanted to write a story. Sure, it has some familiar elements to it – it’s easier to joke about things you’ve already laughed at – but I’m not putting my life on display and saying “LOVE ME!” (Listen, I’m just as insecure as the next writer; I don’t want you to get the wrong idea.)

And, to be honest, I wasn’t entirely sure I was ending up with anything good. The jokes just didn’t seem to be there; I wanted them to come faster. I felt I was getting bogged down in dialogue, which is a tough place to be in when you’re writing a play. (They’re all dialogue.) A first look was what I needed, just someone to say “You’re wasting your time, kiddo” and put me out of my misery.

Then, I got the word today. She loves it! I’m stunned! I’m relieved! It could actually be good! That’s great! Now, I only have five more scenes to go! Just 75 pages or so…

… more…

… that I have to write…

… that has to be just as good…

… oh crap.

No comments: