Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Not just another vague Firesign Theatre reference…

After last night’s class, some may be wondering what type of dancing we’re learning. The answer to that question (as well as “Hey, what are you guys doing in my car?”) is: The Foxtrot.

Do I feel ancient, learning a dance first introduced in 1914?

Do I feel decrepit, learning a dance that made “Rock Around The Clock” by Bill Haley and His Comets the number one Foxtrot record of all time?

You bet.

Except, well… no, not really. Strangely enough there are plenty of people in the class younger than Vicky and I. (Thankfully, there are also plenty of lame people in the class, too, so I don’t look quite so stupid.)

When Vicky and I first walked in, we were at each other’s throats, as usual. One of the reasons for this is to give us something physical to do other than throwing snide remarks at each other. When we were done, we were tired but happy, sore but working as a team, which is what really made this a great idea. The way I look at it, dancing is physical therapy for the heart and it’s coming at a good time.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to practice.

(One, two, three, four…)

No comments: