Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dilemma…

I had a job interview today that, to be honest, could have gone better.

To start, it didn’t. The guy I was supposed to interview with kept asking me to wait in the lobby. We didn’t get moving until about 15 minutes after the appointment time.

Next, he was far from prepared. I got the impression he was lucky to have my resume, though it looked pretty banged up. I gave him a fresh resume and some other materials as well, which I hope helps in the end.

Worst, though, was the age old dilemma I’ve faced so many times. This interview was for a marketing coordinator position, which I am very qualified for. That said, I’ve also worked as a writer for many years as well. The dilemma, you see, is that some folks can’t understand that you can do both.

So, the interview began. “I see you just did some technical writing.”

“Yes, it was a contract position, which has since ended. Now, I’m excited about this marketing coordinator position.”

“Why don’t you just stick with tech writing?” he asked.

I could go on but it would be redundant. Some folks just can’t wrap their heads around a person who can do more than one thing.

In the end, it didn’t turn out well. Even after I pointed out areas I could help in where they were sadly lacking, this guy couldn’t understand that I can do more than technical writing.

It appears I’m still in the job market.

No comments: