Monday, May 14, 2007

I must have woke up for this…

I was having a good night’s sleep until just a while ago. Then, I woke up and realized that a) I couldn’t remember what street I had got into a car accident on back in the early 1990’s, that time when the guy tried to run and I stopped him (true story), and b) it was a good thing our hosts were giving Vicky and I the master suite to stay in because the party downstairs was getting very noisy.

… welcome to Ken’s head.

Okay, so it only took a minute to realize that there was no party going on downstairs and that we were actually in our own bed at home. But I couldn’t get that accident out of my mind. I was driving our old Nissan Sentra, making a left-hand turn from one street to another. I had the green light but some guy barreled through the opposing red and slammed into the Sentra. Both of us ended up in the gutter at the end of my left-hand turn. He got out and started to run while I, realizing that I had a crap-load of tickets and couldn’t afford another point against me, jumped out and chased him. Turned out he was drunk and, as soon as the cops got there – they’d been at the opposite corner and had seen the whole thing – he started telling them just how drunk he was.

But I couldn’t remember where the accident had occurred. For some reason, I kept thinking it happened here in my neighborhood, which was strange because I couldn’t recall ever being here before we bought the house.

Anyway, I was up.

So, why waste the opportunity? I figured I’d catch you up on what’s going on around here.

Vicky starts her new job tomorrow. She’ll be working as…. Yes, those of you who guessed “paralegal” were right. Those who guessed “exotic dancer” are wrong… though I am intrigued. Vicky’s pretty damned good at what she does and I am happy to say she is also the primary breadwinner around here. As I have said to her, “Honey, I’m happy to spend your money.”

Meanwhile, yours truly has some writing news to announce.

I finished the final drafts of Climbing Maya this weekend, the novel that will turn modern philosophy on its ear… or, at least, its elbow. Okay, while it does present “Success Theory” as a potentially new and interesting sub-branch… twig of philosophy, it is mostly an amalgamation of many other people’s work. I simply took things the next step further… or so I hope. I’ve passed it along to my first guinea pig, Jennifer, and we’ll see what she thinks after she proofreads it for me. I have to say, though, I am immensely proud of what I’ve done here. This is no mere story; this actually adds something to the world out there and it’s something good and worthwhile. Let’s hope, now, that I’m not the only one who thinks so… or that anyone expects me to ever do it again.

Of course, after an intellectual exercise like that, I have to blow off some steam. So, I’ve been working on my zombie novel. I’m more than halfway through with it and it’s… well… um… if Climbing Maya was something good and worthwhile, then this book is just the opposite. Puerile, perverse, indulgent, disgusting, and a complete waste of time if you’re looking to gain any further understanding of the human condition – in other words, a shitload of fun! Graphic sex and graphic violence, this is where the mind goes after gaining some kind of enlightenment… mine, at least.

Well, I should get back to bed and try to return to sleep… g’night.

No comments: