Monday, September 18, 2006

Megan Deyo…

I don’t know what to say about this but I know that I probably should as a few readers know who I’m talking about.

Megan Deyo died this weekend, early Sunday morning. (Well, it was early for me.) She was the wife of one of my best friends. She was the person who introduced me to Rosa... but try not to hold that against her. She and I knew each other for a long time and were even intimate on occasion. (We even shared fluids.)

Megan was honest and never anything except herself and I gotta give her props for that. Yes, she pissed me off more than once but that’s par for the course.

She died of lung failure as a result of host versus graft, after battling leukemia. It was a five-year battle and she was tired.

Megan and I met 22/23 years ago in Miss Griswold’s class, back at Santa Ana Valley High. Tim Murphy and I sat near each other. We each gave Griswold a hell of a time – ah, memories! Megan, meanwhile, would sit on the sidelines, telling us both to shut up. But we got her to laugh a few times, so it wasn’t a complete loss.

Sean, Megan’s husband, helped me through the loss of Rosa and now I’m doing whatever I can to help him through the loss of Megan. The foot’s on the other hand now, as they say. Sean’s a wee bit less crazy than me, though.

I’ll miss Megan. She never liked me very much and I didn’t exactly go out of my way to spend a whole lot of time with her, either. And, yet, we traveled along similar tracks and went down neighboring roads.

I’m too young to be losing friends this way. Next time, let’s just get in a fight.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Ken, you probably don't remember me, but I attended Valley, too. My name was Bridget Baldwin back then. The weird thing is, I just got an email through Classmates.com from Megan Deyo, who I haven't seen in about 15 years. Since I don't have a classmates.com account, I can't read the email. I Googled her name and your blog came up. Imagine my surprise to read that she passed away. Now I'm wondering who sent me this email.