Sunday, January 13, 2013

It ain’t Open World if it ain’t open…


Okay, so I felt like updating my last post about all these games I’m playing.

I decided to dip my toe into the middle of the last decade with Doom 3 and Quake 4… and my toe hated me for it.

You see, I am a big fan of Open World games. Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause, FarCry – I love them! So, when I started playing Doom 3 and Quake 4, I immediately had issues.

Many people will tell you that the problem with these games is the lighting, or the incredible lack of lighting. And… they’d have a point.

But my issue is about more than that. The gameplay in Doom 3 and Quake 4 consists of moving from one cramped, claustrophobic space to another cramped, claustrophobic space… over and over. You go from one small room, through a door, to another small room. You journey from one tight corridor, through a door, to another tight corridor.

Over and over.

Basically, these games are anti-Open World games. They are Closed World games. And they irritated the hell out of me!

Now, I know what you’re saying. “Then, stop playing games that are nearly a decade old!”

… you’re right. I’m moving on.

And so should you.

But it was nice dipping my toe for a bit, even if it exposed the bone…

1 comment:

Kati said...

Haha, maybe a decade old games are really not the thing to play...
(Except for Mario World, of course)
-Kati