Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Checking in…

Hello. I know. It’s been a while. But, hey, I’ve been busy.

For an unemployed bloke, I’m really busy.

… how the hell am I so busy?...

Got me. But it seems I never have a minute these days.

We’re getting ready for the big day, the big reading. It’s this weekend and, as usual, I have mixed emotions. Oh, the actors are doing a great job, of course, but the folks at the theater can’t be less cooperative. And while I’ve heard great news about people being there from several theaters, I am learning who really is my friend and who isn’t. The folks who are suddenly very busy when you need them. This kind of thing separates the friends from the phoneys, let me tell ya.

Of course, I expend a lot of energy looking for work. Finding nothing. Very frustrating. So, I’ve also been focusing on sending as much out to agents and publishers as I can – and find myself met by rotten news about the economy there as well. Turns out plenty of them will be very up front about only wanting to work with people who can guaranty big sales numbers… and here I thought writing a good book would be enough...

It’s easy to lose faith when things are down like this but I’m trying not to. Even if I have to go through the motions, I’ll do that so long as the motions move me forward. Even as a terrible panic, the one that set in the day I lost my job, looms larger and larger and I make myself busier and busier in the hopes that something will help, I try to remember how fortunate I am. Because I honestly am.

And then, I forget to drop a blog on a regular basis… so to speak…

Anyway… hello.

No comments: