Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Let them eat quiche…

Several years ago, I was given a quiche pan. (You can read all about that over on My Side.) Though I held onto the thing, I never made a quiche. It wasn’t that I didn’t like quiche – which surely makes me something less than a “real man” – but while I could eat it, making it was a different matter.

After a while, Vicky told me I either needed to use it or get rid of it. (And, honestly, the thought of “regifting” it was a tempting one.) Well, recently I broke down and did it. I made a quiche.

And holy crap! It was really good! And relatively easy! And… good!

So, here you go. A little quiche recipe from me to you. A quiche is basically a baked omelet so I’ll divide the recipe into egg parts (or base) and everything else.

In a blender or food processor (or a big bowl if you don’t mind a lot of stirring) combine and mix thoroughly:

• 6 large eggs, beaten
• 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
• Salt and pepper

That's your Base. Seriously, that’s it. Mix them well. I haven’t tried substituting half-and-half for cream because it tastes so damn good with cream. (And, in case you’re wondering, I bastardized this from a Paula Deen recipe.) Salt and pepper amounts are up to what you like. I like to throw in a heavy pinch of essence as well. Later, I plan to experiment with other herbs but I think you’ll want to go light no matter what you use.

Now, at the bottom of your quiche pan or pie crust, you’ll want to layer your additions. These can be anything you like in eggs. For my first quiche, I used:

• 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
• 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Since then, I’ve also used tomatoes and cheddar. (The swiss adds more of a tang.) I’m planning on using mushrooms, broccoli, and green peppers – though not all at once. Vicky really wants me to try goat cheese.

You put this into an oven preheated at 375 degrees (F) and bake for about 45 minutes or until your knife comes out clean. Then, take it out and let it set for about 5 minutes. You’ll notice it puff up a great deal in cooking and “deflate” at it sets.

Now just sit back and enjoy the goodness.

Honestly, the eggs and cream are all you really need. The rest can be done with leftovers much of the time. I have the feeling I’ll be making a lot more of these in the future.

No comments: