Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A pain in the… stomach…

Can you believe I’ve got a stomachache? Bad one, too. I’m doubled over on my keyboard as I type this. But, hey, it can’t be avoided. I’ve gone through my morning ritual of looking for work and flagellating myself with guilt. Now, my stomach has taken over.

But I assure you this has nothing to do with last night’s dinner! Vicky ate some and she’s just fine!

This is the first time I’ve been sick since losing my job. You might say that unemployment agrees with me.

I wouldn’t.

In fact, this whole unemployment business is beginning to freak me out.

I only have three months left of unemployment insurance. After that, my writing career will be over and my career at Target/Costco/gas station/etc. will have begun. After spending over a decade building a career as a writer, well, it’s not something I’m looking forward to with any enthusiasm, let me tell you.

And I haven’t been doing the best job keeping these fears from Vicky. She’s been doing a great job at being supportive but I think I’ve been relying on that a bit too much. But I guess that’ll come to no surprise to those who know me – the strong, silent type, I ain’t.

Anyway, I guess I’ll go watch some TV and hope that, with any luck, you’ll hear me complaining about having a job that doesn’t give me enough time off soon…

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

Before you do the Costco/gas station route, look into contract. Its not permanent, but it generally pays well, AND you get PAID. Sure beats a stop and rob.

I could tell you something will come your way soon, but being in the job market myself I can relate to how frustrating it is. While I don't have 1) a second income to help support me and 2) theoretically not out of a job yet, its still scary to think I could be in the same boat real soon.