Friday, December 28, 2012

There are a few things Vicky does not understand about video games…


There are a few things Vicky does not understand about video games… which is why that makes such a great subject line for this blog entry.

You see, Steam is having their holiday sale right now and oodles and oodles of awesome video games are as low as $4.99 a pop! $4.99!

I have a few problems with that on my end, however, and most of them begin and end with the fact that I don’t have time to play video games. Oh, don’t get me wrong. It’s not like I don’t want to. I do! I WANT TO!

But time and (whatever passes for maturity) has shown me the futility in buying video games. I tend to work an awful lot, which leaves little time… very little time.

So, when Steam puts Skyrim on sale or FarCry3, I know I don’t have time to play them. When Steam has a great price on Saints Row 2 or 3 or Sleeping Dogs, I remember there was a reason why I didn’t pick it up to begin with – I just don’t have the time.

Oh, and I don’t have the money, either. Let’s not kid ourselves.

So, when Vicky says to me, “If you want a game, just buy it,” she doesn’t realize that, like an addict, it’s not just one game I want. I WANT THEM ALL! And I’ll buy them all, which will mean spending far more than she can imagine, and then they’ll all sit silently, waiting for me to find the time to play them.

Again, it’s not because I don’t want to… I do! And like the old guy who dreams of sitting on his porch and reading all the classics when he retires, I dream of playing all the terrific video games I’ve missed…

I’ll need cheat codes, of course. I mean, face it, after I retire I won’t have the patience or the time (I could die at any minute) to waste respawning, will I?

No comments: