Sunday, September 13, 2009

Late night decisions…

Yikes. It’s 4am. I’ve been up since 11pm, got about an hour of sleep. Nice, huh?

Uncharacteristic of me, I think I’ve decided to go against my better judgment. You’ll see what I mean in a minute.

I have to be honest. The book on ethics hasn’t been going very quickly. It’s actually very difficult. And I’ve been struggling with that as much as I’ve been struggling with the subject matter. And I’ve come to a conclusion. I realized that, for as much as I want to write this book, I’m under far too much stress to really focus on it right now.

My life is an awfully shitty mess. And I realized that what I really need is an escape. I need some fun! And being cooped up in this house with no job interviews and not enough money to pay for WoW isn’t fun.

So, early this morning, I consciously put aside my book on ethics. This isn’t to say I won’t write it. I will. Just not now. This is kind of like not running marathons when you have pneumonia. No, what I decided to do this morning was to ask myself, “Well, self, what do you want to do right now?’

Almost as soon as I asked it, I realized what it was – and as cheap as it might sound, especially when compared to a book on ethics, I decided I want to write another comedy. Of course, I do! It’s fun! It’s a treat! And it’s a great way to escape! Jokes and gags starting pouring out of me and I’ve been up most of the morning jotting them down.

The new play already has a working title, Diamonds Are For Thursday; it’s a comedic mystery in the Marx Brother’s tradition about a jewel heist. This is a huge leap for me and should be a blast.

I’ll keep you posted.

I guess the takeaway here is that if you’re fighting something, if you’re under a lot of stress already, maybe it’s a good thing to give yourself a break. At least, I hope so.

No comments: