Wednesday, August 26, 2009

And they said the cynic was dead…

So, I’m sitting here in the aftermath of a bit too much plum wine… that’s my excuse…

Vicky and I were watching Mad About You on DVD, which is always a bit odd for me because that was a show I watched with my ex back when it aired in the 90’s. So, we’re watching and Vicky pauses and asks me a question, which in itself isn’t odd except I remember my ex asking the same question – oh those many years ago.

And my answer is something along the lines of “The universe is one great big joke.” After all, the first time I watched this and was asked, my ex and I were still going through those sickeningly cute years. Actually, we spent about 10 of our years together sickeningly cute… with 5 spent in total fucking hate – there was no middle of the road. The lessen, or so it seemed to me at least, was that all relationships are doomed and that is life’s joke on us all.

Vicky and I spent about 20 minutes in the sickeningly cute stage and I can’t help but think, “What chance do we have?” And I think I spend a little bit too much time doubting our love, waiting for the end – which is kind of like waiting for the end of a rollercoaster: you’re missing the fun!

I say this in the message in a bottle kind of way: I know all relationships are doomed, either your split up or you die, but you should try to enjoy the ride anyway… even if I’m not that great at it…

No comments: