Sunday, July 11, 2010

Self-helping… myself…

Consider it another case of “You just never know”.

About a year ago or so, I submitted my book on success (Climbing Maya) to a certain publisher. Rather than an outright rejection, I received another reply typical in this economy, “Can’t take on any new projects right now. Try me back in a year.” Never one to look a gift horse in any orifice, I tagged it and flagged it for one year later.

That came up a few weeks ago. So, I emailed the publisher again. This time, I received the same “Can’t take any new projects” note, asking me to try again in six months. I also received another email. The publisher doesn’t just publish books but magazines as well and one magazine they publish is a self-help magazine. To my very great surprise, the editor of this self-help magazine saw my submissions and was asking me to submit something for the magazine.

Really? Me? Self-help?

Hi. We haven’t met. My name is Ken.

But hey, I have long since learned never to pass up any opportunity. And, while I won’t reprint what I submitted here, I will let you know if/when it hits the newsstands. No, the whole reason for this blog entry is just your regularly scheduled reminder: Don’t give up.

Believe me, I know the feeling. I’ve been working on my writing for over a quarter of a century now and have seen more dreams pass out of sight than I can mention. But you never know where opportunity will knock… or when for that matter. Heck, I’m no self-help guru but that doesn’t mean I haven’t learned a thing or two about overcoming obstacles. You just never know.

I have recently developed a relationship with an agent back east. While we haven’t met, he’s read a couple of my books and calls himself a fan. Thing is, being a fan ain’t quite enough. But he’s reading another one, looking for a book he thinks he can sell. While it isn’t opportune – heck, why can’t people just love me, anyway? – it is an opportunity.

There. How’s that for self-help? Don’t pass up an opportunity just because it isn’t “opportune”.

I’m going to put that on my Facebook page right now! You just never know when a little luck is going to strike.

No comments: