Friday, December 04, 2009

Rope burns…

Just a tip to the perverts out there: No, that’s not what this will be about. Get your hands where I can see them and we’ll continue…

Vicky and I have started walking the dogs together in the morning before she goes to work. Sometimes, we’ll just go around the block. Then, there are times when we’ll walk down to the park and let the dogs get some exercise in.

Herein lies my mistake. About a week ago, Vicky and I were out on a particularly warm morning. It was so warm, in fact, that I was wearing shorts. This is an important point and one I should have considered. As we were walking through the park, Shipoopi (our little nuclear energy dog) darted around me and then darted up again so that her lead was draped across my calves…

… and then she pulled…

… and the lead pulled across my calves very quickly, leaving twin rope burns across both calves… and leaving me screaming like a little girl…

Vicky asked, “What happened?” And when I told her, her response was something along the line of “Pansie…”

The next day, the burns began to scab over. A day or so later, Vicky saw the backs of my calves and made a disgusted sound. “Wow. Those look really painful.”

And they were.

I have a great respect for those who can work with ropes and not get rope burn now that I know what it is. I also have a great respect for ropes and plan to never walk my dogs without long pants again, lest we replay that little dittie. Here it is, about a week later, and I can’t scratch them because of the scabs. They’re like two long crevices across my calves… ouch…

Let’s all try to learn from my mistake, shall we?

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

No problem for me. 1) no dog and 2) couldn't possibly be wearing shorts this time of year here...(it's 18 out right now)