Monday, November 09, 2009

Passing notes…

After the reading of Murielle’s Big Date, the audience was handed comment cards on which to make notes about how they felt about the play. After the show, Eric handed them over to me so I could see them but, me being me, I didn’t dare look.

Okay, I took a peek. I looked briefly at each and saw what I was hoping for:

FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY. FUNNY.
… which is what you want from a comedy.

Then, this morning, I decided to read them all.

And I was shocked.

Some people said the play made people hopeful about the future. Some said that it showed how good people are. Others said it made them feel warm and fuzzy.

Were we at the same play?

But the thing was… that was exactly what I was hoping for when I wrote it. I was just too jaded – am too jaded – to say it out loud. (Actually, this is as close to “out loud” as I’ll probably get.) I touched people. I got through.

Mark me down as pleased… for the next 20 minutes or so, I can allow myself that much.

No comments: